Friendsgiving is in full swing over here. We have a dinner to go to almost everyday from now until Thanksgiving! I'm so thankful to have such great friends to share these moments with, but cooking that much can be exhausting. I came up with some shortcuts that will make our lives easier.
Here I have an apple tart with guyere and carmelized onion. This tart looks impressive, but here is my secret - actually using refrigrated dough as my shortcut! This saves me time and the hassle of making my own dough. Some people on my Youtube channel commeted that they are unsure of the combination between apple and caramelized onions, but I assure you - it's a match made in heaven! Add the cheese and it just sends the whole thing over the top. The reason why this works is because I'm using granny smith apples and it has just enough tartness to offset the savoryness of the onions. I'm also a huge sucker for carmelized onions because it has just a hint of sweetness. Yum yum!
Next up is an easy peasy drink that can be spiked or left alone like this to enjoy! This is an apple pie punch that is infused with Ginger Beer and Spiced apple cider. People often think ginger beer is alcoholic, but it's actually just very concentrated ginger ale. I prefer that to ginger ale because it has less sugar. I added in some diced apples to make it look fancy like a sangria. Orange slices would probably be really good in this too!
What are some of the shortcuts that you take during the Holidays? I'm always looking for ways to make life easier, so drop me a note and let me know!!!
Full recipe tutorial video here:
Serves 4 - 6
1 can Pillsbury Crescent rolls
1 whole onion, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp butter
1 granny smith apple, thinly sliced
2 cups gruyere, shredded
1 tbsp thyme
2 tbsps melted butter
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) To caramelize the onions: In a medium sized pan, melt butter and add sliced onions on medium low heat. Let it cook down for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once it develops a caramel color, remove from heat and set aside.
3) Open can of Pillsbury Crescent rolls and lay the dough flat on baking sheet. Freeze for 10 minutes to firm.
4) When dough is chilled, remove from freezer and cut into 8 squares, separating them out from each other.
5) Add a heaping amount of shredded gruyere cheese then layer with some caramelized onions. Top with fanned out apple slices and brush melted butter on top. Sprinkle with fresh thyme to garnish.
6) With pizza cutter, score the edges of each tart.
7) Bake for 12-14 minutes until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted.
Apple Pie Punch
1-2 Honeycrisp apples
64 fl oz Spiced Apple Cider
12 fl oz Ginger Beer
25.4 fl oz Sparkling Cider
1) Cube apple and add to large pitcher
2) Pour in Spiced apple cider, ginger beer, and sparkling cider
3) Mix well and serve in glass with ice.