The Holidays are a time of indulgence for me because every year’s resolution is the same thing: to eat healthier. This year, I’m getting a jumpstart on my New Year reset by making this Black Bean Quinoa Butternut squash chili in my Crock-Pot® slow cooker. The slow cooker is my best friend during winter months because I usually make an entire vat of stews or chili’s to last me throughout the week. It’s such a great tool for this buzy bee! This chili recipe makes enough to last me and Nate 3 days’ worth of meals to keep us on track with our healthy eating plan.
My favorite thing about this chili is the fact that it is meatless, yet does not make me feel deprived or hungry at all. The quinoa and beans give it enough protein in my diet and the butternut squash is a perfectly tender and toothy bite! I just love it. The combination of spices that I added also gives it a smoky kick.
What are your new year’s resolution and goals? If it’s to eat healthier too, give this recipe a try!!
Check out my video tutorial here:
Black Bean Quinoa Butternut Squash Chili
Serving Size: 6-8
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
1 pound butternut squash, cubed
1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 tbsps chili powder
3 tsps ground cumin
2 tsps smoked paprika
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried mexican oregano
2 tsps kosher salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 ½ cups chicken broth
1 (24 oz) can of crushed fire roasted tomatoes
1 ½ cup tomato sauce
1) In a pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and let it heat up. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add red bell peppers and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Add in minced garlic, sauté everything until fragrant and remove from heat.
2) In the Crock-Pot® slow cooker, butternut squash, black beans, rinsed quinoa, sautéed onion and peppers, spices, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and chicken broth.
3) Cover and set Crock-Pot® slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
4) When ready, remove cover and serve.
5) Top with sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, and green onion.
This post is sponsored by Crock-Pot® brand. Be sure to check out their website for more slow-cooker recipes here!