Bananas are one of those things that I on my kitchen counter, ready to eat. Everytime we go to the store, I always buy at least 2 bundles since we go through them so fast. I like my bananas slightly on the firmer almost ripe side, where as Nate likes them with hints of brown dots - just ripe, he said. Since they are always around, I always try to find new ways to use them up if they have gone too far - you know, those bigger brown dots and super sugary bananas. Those are great for baking, but I also like to incorporate different ways to use them up. Here are 3 ways that you can make banana treats!
2 ripe but firm bananas
6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped, or semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
2. Cut the bananas in half and insert a Popsicle stick into each half. Place them on the baking sheet and freeze for 10-15 minutes.
3. Melt chocolate with the oil in a microwave safe cup in 30 second increments. Stir until smooth.
4. Dip each banana half in the chocolate, then quickly sprinkle with your topping.
5. Freeze for 1 hour for semi frozen bananas or overnight for popsicle like bananas.
Mini Banana Donuts:
For the donuts:
1/2 cup puréed banana (from one banana; very well mashed works fine too)
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Lightly butter or spray a doughnut pan and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together the pureed banana, butter, brown sugar and egg until smooth.
4. In another bowl, combine dry ingredients.
5. Combine the dry ingredients into the wet until just mixed.
6. Transfer to a large piping bag and pipe the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until tops are lightly golden brown.
8. Turn out the doughnuts onto a rack and let cool completely.
For the glaze:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk or half and half
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar until melted.
2. Add half and half, salt, and vanilla extract
3. Let mixture gently bubble and caramelize for 2-3 minutes.
4. Whisk in powdered sugar.
5. Stir until mixture is thick.
6. Remove from heat and as it cools, it'll thicken up some more - add more milk (1 tbsp at a time as necessary).
7. Take a donut and dip the top of it in the icing. Immediately sprinkle donuts.
8. Let cool completely and enjoy!
1 banana fully ripened
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup milk
1 ½ cups vanilla ice cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup ice
In a blender, add all contents and pour onto milkshake glass. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles. Enjoy!
I'm going bananas for these banana treats! Which treat would you try first?