My friends Ben and Matt from Odang Udon recently came over to cook together! They launched some fresh packaged noodles to sell at the supermarket and have been hustling like crazy! Almost every weekday is spent doing demos at a new store that they are trying to get products in. I really admire / appreciate their hustle so wanted to find out more about how they got started. My dream is to one day become an Entrepreneur to create my own products, so it's inspiring to see friends doing it.
We each created a dish that was somewhat unusual - a fusion twist if you will - for the video. Their fresh udons have the perfect chew with a slight bounciness to them. Think of thick pasta! They were perfect for the fusion carbonara. They were delicious and now I'm inspired to try other unique recipes with their udon!
Matt's UDON CARBONARA:
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pack Odang Udon noodles
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1. Cook the bacon until crispy. Chop into pieces.
2. Whisk the eggs and add to a large bowl. Mix in the grated Parmesan.
3. Boil a large pot of water. In the meantime unpack and loosen the noodles. Cook in the boiling water for 4:30 min, stirring little.
4. Drain noodles and toss immediately into egg mixture, coating every noodle.
5. Add bacon, stir, then fresh parsley. serves 2-3
My SPICY UDON NOODLE SALAD (Thanks Emily!):
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- togarashi or chili pepper powder
- 1 tsp wasabi
- 3 persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2-3 cups leafy green salad mix
1. Cook Noodles according to directions. Drain and shock with cold water.
2. In a bowl mix Soy Sauce, Rice wine vinegar, sugar, olive oil, sesame oil, oyster sauce, togarashi, and wasabi together until it emulsifies.
3. Mix in noodles into this bowl and add the chopped cucumbers and halved cherry tomatoes.
4. In a large salad bowl lay down the leafy greens and pour out the noodle salad on top. Toss well and enjoy! Serves 2-3
If you're interested in trying their Udon, they now have an online store! You can buy them here: Fresh Noodles (Order Here): http://squ.re/29dYSHv